Another factor is time. I've been having difficulty lately finding time to blog more than once each week (occasionally a bit more). I have been making time to focus on some of my own interests, which I feel is the best kind of example for my girls...things like crocheting, learning about herbs and planning an herb garden, learning about more sustainability and self-sufficiency, and getting really focused on family budgeting and saving. Time will becoming an even more challenging factor pretty soon, since I will be taking on the director position at the library where I work.
On the other hand, though, one of the reasons I enjoy blogging is to share resources, and to give a real-life picture of what a lifestyle of learning without a curriculum looks like. By not doing some form of recap, I miss opportunities to share this. Additionally, we enjoy looking back through our blog to read old posts, and the recap posts are especially good summaries to read.
So, with all that said, I'm going to try to get back into some sort of routine with these types of posts...we'll see how I do ;)
What we're reading
- I've been reading books about medicinal herbs, and we've been perusing some seed catalogs...I've been focused on herbs, and the girls are making a list of flowers they want to plant :)
- Lauren has pulled out all of our Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books to re-read (after finishing re-reading The Sisters Grimm series)...plus there has been lots of other independent reading, including The Mother-Daughter Book Club by Heather Vogel Frederick (for our mother-daughter book club!)
- Jenna read through A Pioneer Sampler, which I brought home from the library for her because of her love of all things related to Little House on the Prairie :) She's also been reading books in the Royal Diaries series, and re-reading books in the Goddess Girls series.
- We finished Lives of the Writers by Kathleen Krull...we've been liking this series of biographies. We started reading The Fairy-Land of Science by Arabella Buckley (free for Kindle)
- We're listening to The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan whenever we're in the car.
What we're creating
|David's and my creations during our own private LEGO class, which the girls led :)|
|We discovered tagxedo.com, which is an awesome online word art creator!|
This is one of Jenna's many creations. While you can save your creations in many ways,
we could not figure out how to share them on Instagram.
Jenna did take photos of the computer screen and shared some of those.
|Lauren used Sharpie markers to doodle on a pair of jeans from the thrift store,|
which she bought specifically for that purpose. They are very cool and really show her personality!
- There has been LOADS and LOADS of creating on Minecraft!!
- Lauren is always drawing/sketching and writing
- Jenna is still taking a clay class each week
- Jenna is planning a Sunbonnet Sue quilt where she makes one block each month, that has a theme inspired by that month. She shopped for some fabric she needed this week, and she has the first several blocks planned out. We'll share photos as she gets started :)
- Jenna really enjoys taking photos, making photo collages, and doing photo sharing through Instagram.
- As I type this post, the girls are working on creating a more organized and inspiring space in their "other room" upstairs...so they feel like being creative when they are at their desks.
What we're watching
|great movie we watched together this week|
- the girls began re-watching episodes from Season 1 of Little House on the Prairie on DVD last weekend when Jenna wasn't feeling well, and they've been watching episodes all week
- The Brady Bunch and I Love Lucy
- cooking shows on PBS
- Modern Marvels: Great Inventions on DVD from Netflix
- David and I watched the documentary King Korn one night, and the girls and I discussed it the next day
Games we're playingWe played a game of Pay Day early in the week, and I think that's about it for this week!
Favorite apps right now
- Instagram...Jenna, especially, LOVES Instagram and is often inspired by my blogging friends' daughters :) I love seeing the way they get ideas from each other!
- various photo apps: CamWow, collage apps (Pic Stitch, Pic Collage, and InstaCollage), TXT Pics HD
- Draw Mania
- Temple Run
- Rail Rush
- Tree World
- Tap the Frog
- Fruit Ninja
- Doodle Buddy
- Sims Medieval
- Stack the States
- What's the Word
- Spider Solitaire
|using our laptops to play on Moneyville, and various other online games|
- math practice using Mastering Essential Math Skills by Richard W. Fisher...this is going very well :)
- planning for Random Acts of Kindness Week (Feb. 11th - 17th)
So, how have things been for you lately??